SEO is the technique employed by web site owners to make web site more search engine friendly. When a site is optimized for the search engines properly it receives traffic from the major search engines like Google, Yahoo, MSN and others at no additional cost per visitor. The site should look good to the search engine spiders and be on the first page of the major search engines when users type in keywords relating to web site's business.
Search engine marketing is the ability for advertisers, ad agencies, marketing firms and anyone that owns a web site and has a search advertising budget to pay for sponsored listings on a ppc (cost per click) or ppc (pay per click) basis. Search engines like Overture and Google AdWords are examples of search engine marketing programs. Search marketing drives targeted traffic to a web site the fastest. It's also the most expensive way to get search engine traffic.
Search engine optimization had been around for a while and those savvy to the traffic and targeted nature of search engines realized there could be a quicker and easier way to list web sites. This was the birth of pay per click. In order to be the first site listed for a particular keyword or phrase one had to outbid the other web sites interested in that keyword. Whoever paid the most for the keyword or keyword phrase got the first position. Although this is much more expensive than natural search engine optimization it was also much quicker and advertisers flocked to it. Now Google has their own ppc system called Adwords and the ppc industry is raking in over $2 billion dollars annually from web site advertisers.
The following are the advantages of Search Engine Marketing:
- Search engine marketing listings are instant.
- Ability to determine your most profitable keywords in days, not months.
- You control the copy that appears in the listing.
- You can always be the first listing for a keyword if you have the budget.
- On page factors associated with search engine optimization are non-existent.
- Ability to track search engine marketing campaigns is simple.
- Ability to track conversion ratios on each keyword phrase is easy.
- You control the landing page the visitor gets to when they click on a sponsored link.
- No need to submit your web site to the search engines.
- Many more reasons to choose Search engine marketing!
Many see search engine marketing as a larger umbrella under which search engine optimization fits, but it's possible that many who focused primarily on SEO in the past are incorporating more and more marketing ideas into their efforts, including public relations strategy and implementation, online display media buying, web site transition SEO, web trends data analysis, HTML E-mail campaigns, and business blog consulting making SEO firms more like an ad agency.