White hat method is seen as the more legal and acceptable way to improve the website. The content of the site is easily available to their spiders. Simple white hat methods generally accepted by search engines are:
1. Naming each page with unique titles
2. Increase the amount of quality content of the site
3. Using accurate HTML Header tags, and is descriptive to the page
4. Using precise meta tags of sound sizes, without excessive keywords or off topic terms
5. Allowing search engine spiders without the need to accept cookies of session ids
6. Allow your site to have good web ring participation
The black hats write software, to manipulate data and information on the web able to generate tons of grammatically correct but meaningless information full of keywords bringing in a lot of traffic. Two of the most common black hat tricks are spamdexing and cloaking. Spamdexing can again be separated into content spam, linking spam and others. Cloaking on the other hand, is more to mislead a search engine regarding the content of the webpage.
These techniques usually include one or more of the following characteristics:
• breaks search engine rules and regulations
• creates a poor user experience directly because of the black hat SEO techniques utilized on the Web site
• unethically presents content in a different visual or non-visual way to search engine spiders and search engine users.